Monday, December 8, 2008

'Nother FO: White turban (chemo cap project)

Another project checked off! This is one I began back in November for a chemo cap charity project I'm working with through one of the Ravelry groups I'm in. I have until early January to crank out as many chemo caps for the University of Chicago's Cancer Center, in honor of Madelyn "Toot" Dunham, grandmother of president-elect Barak Obama.

The center takes in serious cases, and there's a big need for caps for the chemotherapy patients, especially given Chicago's chilly climate. Those winds whipping down off of Lake Michigan -- brrr!

This turban was knit from a pattern offered free from Elann.com: Esprit Chemo Turban. The yarn is Elann Esprit, a blend of cotton and elastic. Strange, stretchy stuff, and it takes a bit of getting used to. I read lots of reviews on Ravelry from people who said they hated it. I didn't hate it, I just had to get used to working with yarn that kept springing off of my finger. I can see lots of possibilities for this yarn, in situations were you want DK-weight cotton and a lot of stretch: socks, baby garments, close-fitting summer tops, that sort of thing.


Or a close-fitting hat, as the case might be, one that's warm but not overly-warm.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice hat! I'm in that group too, so I'll definitely do that one. Thanks for the links.

Lupie said...

A beautiful turbin and thought.

Karen said...

Hi,
I am trying to knit the chemo turban for my niece. Can you help me? I am having trouble getting the gauge- did you use the size 9 needle?
Thanks for help,
Karen

Karen said...

I used size 9, but I don't recall what gauge I got. I knit until I ran out of both balls of Elann, and ended up with a length of knitting slightly shorter than what the pattern says. The yarn is very stretchy, though, so it still fit just fine.

Anonymous said...

Can you help me? I am trying (quite unsuccessfully) to knit the chemo turban for a friend of my mom's - to wear to her 50th high school reunion - so time is of the essence!! The gauge is all wrong, even when I go down to size 6 needles!! I'm not a beginning knitter, but I've never had a problem like this one. I asked for help from the manufacturer, but they just told me to "make a swatch", or "change needle size", (I've done both). I ordered enough yarn to make two turbans, so I'd really appreciate any help you could give me!! Thank you!! - Tina

Anonymous said...

Can you help me? I am trying (quite unsuccessfully) to knit the chemo turban for a friend of my mom's - to wear to her 50th high school reunion - so time is of the essence!! The gauge is all wrong, even when I go down to size 6 needles!! I'm not a beginning knitter, but I've never had a problem like this one. I asked for help from the manufacturer, but they just told me to "make a swatch", or "change needle size", (I've done both). I ordered enough yarn to make two turbans, so I'd really appreciate any help you could give me!! Thank you!! - Tina

Karen said...

Hmm... y'know, I don't think I ever swatched for gauge. I cast on the stitches it called for, knit until I just about ran out of both balls of yarn, then stitched up the seams. The gauge ended up being pretty close.

But because the yarn is stretchy, I kept a much tighter tension on it while knitting than usual (otherwise it slipped right off of my finger). Try stretching the yarn as you knit with it. The elasticity of the yarn seems to require it.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online